Cheng TANG, PhD
Yantai Institute of Coastal Zone Research (YIC), Chinese Academy of Sciences
17 Chunhui Road, Laishan District, Yantai, China
Tel.: +86 - 535 - 210 9021
PhD: South China Sea Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences (2003 - 2007)
PhD thesis: Holocene sequence stratigraphy and evolution the Pearl River Estuary
PhD supervisor: Prof. Di Zhou, South China Sea Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Prof. Jan Harff, Leibniz Institute for Baltic Sea Research, Warnemünde, Germany
MSc: South China Sea Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences (1998 - 2001)
Master thesis: The application of artificial intelligence and geographic information systems to geological hazards of the Nansha seafloor of South China Sea
BSc: Sun Yat-Sen University, Guangzhou, China (1994 - 1998)
Achievements: Excellent Award of University Scholarship
- Coordinator of LOICZ East Asia Office, regional network construction for coastal zone science （2007-2011）
- Proponent of APN Capacity building project: Young LOICZ Forum (YLF) 2011 - Enhancing Capacities for Global Change Mitigation in Asia-Pacific Coastal Zones, cooperated with LOICZ Open Science Conference in Yantai in 2011
- Coordinator of “Sustainable aquaculture and coastal zone planning” visiting program of Provincial Fishery delegation of Shandong Government (July, 2010)
- Proponent of “Toward a healthy coastal zone based on environmental monitoring techniques: Effective science communication” for UNITAR (Unite Nation Institute of Training and Research) Capacity Building Programme (approved January 2009). Coordinator: UNITAR training workshop that brought together experts from different disciplines, presenting 18 different topics and addressing coastal zone environmental issues and developing strategies. More than 20 different organisations and institutions were involved (hosted in November 2009),
- Coordinator: LOICZ-YIC international seminar “Tackling Land Ocean Interaction on Regional Scale” such as process design, budgeting and scheduling (September 2007),
- Max Planck Society fellowship for PhD study in Leibniz Institute for Baltic Sea Research, Warnemünde, Germany (2004-2005),
- Principal Investigator: Project “Pearl River estuary related sediments as response to Holocene climate change and anthropogenic impact (PECAI)” of South China Sea Institute, Chinese Academy of Sciences and Leibniz Institute for Baltic Sea Research, Warnemünde, Germany (2003 - 2005),
- The Partnership for Observation of the Global Oceans (POGO) and the Scientific Committee on Oceanic Research (SCOR) Fellowship Programme for Coastal observations /Coastal Zone Management in Kiel university, Germany (October, 2010)
- Training course for the Potential Service and Employment in International Organizations by Chinese Academy of Sciences in Hefei, China (August, 2010)
- Scientific proposal writing training course by Asia-Pacific Network (APN) in Shanghai, China (October, 2008)
- UNITAR Training Workshop “Sea and Human Series: Towards a Comprehensive Security for Seas and Oceans” in Hiroshima, Japan (October, 2007).
- GIS Training by State Oceanic Administration and Earth Science & Surveying Corp., Hong Kong (July 2001).
- Language: English (fluent),
- Operating systems: Office, Matlab, Visual C++, Isis Draw, SPSS, World Wide Web, Web authoring, Web design,
- Scientific techniques: Learning, mastery and use of different embarked measurement techniques (DIC, pCO2, ADCP), ArcGIS modelling, analysis of in-situ, satellite and modelling data, notions of sea law
- Oceanographic cruise experiences: Onboard the RSV in South China Sea many times.
Tang C., Zhao Y., Zhang H., Zhan W., Xia Z., 2013. The changes of sea surface grain size distribution and its sedimentary environment during the last 30 years in the Zhu-jiang River Estuary. Marine Sciences. 37,1-11 (in Chinese with English abstract)
Tang C. , Zhou D., Endler R., Lin J., Harff J., 2010. Sedimentary Development of the Pearl River Estuary Based on Seismic Stratigraphy. Journal of Marine Systems. S3-S16
Rizzetto F., Tosi L., Zecchin M., Brancolinl G., Baradello L., Tang C., 2009. Ancient geomorphological features in shallows of the Venice Lagoon (Italy). Journal of Coastal Research. Speical Issue 56, 34-41.
Pedoja K., Shen J., Kershaw S., Tang C., 2008. Coastal Quaternary morphologies on the northern coast of the South China Sea, China, and their implications for current models: A review and preliminary study. Marine Geology. 255, 103-117.
Yu H., Sun Z., Tang C., 2006, Physical and mechanical properties of coral sand in the Nansha Islands. Marine Science Bulletin. 8(2): 31-39.
Zhan W., Tang C., Zhang Y., Wang P., Zhang Y., Zhao J., 2004, The seafloor topography and landform characteristics and its developing regulation of Zengmu shoal sea area, Acta Oceanologica Sinica, vol25, supplement 1,62～69.
Zhan.W., Qiu X., Tang C., 2002. Deviatioric stress of various depths in the South China Sea and its adjacent areas. Journal of Geosciences of China. 4(2): 25-29.
Tang C., Zhou D., Zhan W., Sun Z., Lin J., 2007. Late Pleistocene buried paleo-channel sedimentary history in the Pearl River Estuary. Journal of Engineering Geology. 15, 447-452. (In Chinese with English abstract)
Tang C., Zhan W., Zhang Y., 2002, Application of geographic information system to seafloor geological disaster research of Nansha Islands sea area in South China Sea. Journal of Tropical Oceanography. 4,104～111. (In Chinese with English abstract)
Tang X., Tang C., Chen M., Li C., Yan W., 2003, Magnetism of drilling coral reef and coral clast from Yongshu atoll of Nansha Islands, Southern South China Sea. Journal of Tropical Oceanography. 3, 44～51. (In Chinese with English abstract)
Zhu J., Zhan W., Tang C., Qiu X., Sun Z., 2003, Study on activity of the Red River Fault Zone.South China Journal of Seismology. 23, 13~19. (In Chinese with English abstract)
Zhan W., Sun Z., Tang C., Zhu J., Sun L., 2004. Littoral active fault belt of South China and its control on seismic activity in Taiwan Strait. Journal of Tropical Oceanography. 23(4),19-24. (In Chinese with English abstract)
Tang C., Zhan W., Xia Z., Heise B., 2009, Climate change and anthropogenic impact on bottom sediment environment in recent 30 years, Pearl River Estuary. International conference on climate change, the environmental and socio-economic response in Southern Baltic Region. International BALTEX Secretariat, ISSN 1681-6471, Publication No. 42.
Tang C., Shi P., Xing Q., Zhou D., 2008. Application of GIS in fish cage aquiculture sustainable decision support system of the coastal zone cities. 2008 International Forum on Metropolitan Regions Development.Changsha, China. 42-47.
Tang C., Zhou D., Harff J., 2003, Antropogenic impact and environmental change of the Pearl River Delta since 7,500 BP. Proceeding of Marine Science, Chinese Academy of Sciences. Guangzhou, China. 51～53.
Zhan W., Tang C., 2001. Neotectonics Types and Evolution Model of South China Sea, 5th International Conference on the Cenozoic Evolution of the Asia-Pacific Environment，Guangzhou, China. 88-101